Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Constant Unconventional Exploration

Let me preface this entry.
My last post was honest. 100%. BUT.
I don't believe in the hyperbolic idea that Instagram and Tumblr are ruining my life. In fact, in one very real way they are making it better*.

*Inspired I should say. Which leads to something better than the alternative.
I see other people creating things on Instagram and Tumblr. Creating as in scribbling, drawing, painting, writing. (Less of the Pinterest painted Ball-Jars and paper machete wedding decorum)
Real. Honest to goodness. EXPLORATION of the artistic thing. And I love that. It makes me feel like I'm apart of this greater mind of creators- outside of my own home. I get to see how others' minds work through an idea. I get to see what brain vomit spills out onto Moleskin journal pages. It's absolutely wonderful. And it inspires me CONSTANTLY. It's a source of force. It's pushing me to make. To do. To be more than someone sitting in their bed, in their jammies, watching re-run episodes of Dr. Who on Netflix. I am more than that.
 
I bought myself a Moleskin journal in March and have been drawing in it quite often. As of late I draw 3-4 pages a day. I've recently done some comic work and some sketched. I have 1 RULE: No Pencil. None. If you use pencil, you must erase and continue on with a pen. And I've gotten to some really great things.

With Ball-Points you can get to some really great shading that you can't really do with a Sharpie. Though, with my comic work I've been exploring the Dot/Line techniques to add different values or light and dark and it's been going really well. I finished a water colored piece I started about a month ago, it's got some nice Organic/ Natural things going on.

(Forgive the Filtered Nonsense. I.e. Instagram)







All in all, I am an advocate of inspiration. I don't worry about whether I inspire people. I just make to do it. I make to keep learning about what I like and don't at all. I keep going to learn the fundamental truths about a line and how to make it be what you want. I keep doing it because I know I can get better. So I look at others' work to get myself looking at things differently. In some sense, Instagram and Tumblr aren't BAD, They're just used in sort of an unconventional way.

Hooray for the unconventonal.
Now, get off the internet. And go make something with your hands. No one else, not even a machine, can make something EXACTLY like you. So go. And relish in that fact.

<3


2 comments:

  1. I really love and admire your art. It's absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY KATIE IS BACK!!!

    *ahem*

    I would pay money for that first and third one -- they're breathtaking. You are actually the best. Okay? Okay. <3

    ReplyDelete