Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 9, 2012

The Ability To Shop.

So, I went to the mall with mi madre today. It's something we can do together easily and have fun. We went into Charlot Ruse and peeked around. Neon. Pastel. Crotch-shorty-shorts. Pink size 2 skinny jeans.

What!? So, I dismissed it. We walked out and walked over to Wet Seal. Lace Shorts. Short dresses. Low cut tank tops 3 sizes too small for the average person.

In the media today, clothes are modeled fairly well on pretty girls.

Look at this girl. Lovely bone structure. Skinny arms, lovely legs, long beautiful hair, skinny waist.

If we don't look like this, we're screwed in life. Even when we do look like this, we go and make DRASTIC changes to ourselves because of our insecurities.

But, also in the media, anyone who seems to have an average build, with a muffin top, womanly thighs, larger breasts and curves, they're labeled PLUS SIZE.


If you try to buy jeans and a regular t-shirt at somewhere like Target where the prices are acceptable, you have to skim through the jeans to find your size. I wear size 12. For a 16 year old is that bad? Who's to say?

What is beauty? Who decides?
In the 1800's, men would paint the natural beauty. In this painting, (the birth of Venus) she's beautiful. But OH NO! She doesn't fit the mold of 21st century beautiful women. She has a muffin top. Her proportions are not 100% perfect. But, nonetheless. She's beautiful.



We need more women like Queen Latifa. She OWNS a room when she walks into it. She's lovely, and she's not 120 lbs. Let me just tell you.

Being < 160 lbs is overrated. I weigh 165 lbs. My 23 year old sister weighs 165 lbs. My mother weighs about 145 lbs. They constantly say how much they need to lose weight, commenting on how big their getting...

How is that supposed to make me feel? What about younger little girls?!

We have role models like Miley Cyrus. She wears this and little girls look and think, 'I want to be just like her'. If we are to be good role models, we must be modest and graceful. Julie Andrews (The Sound of Music, Marry Poppins) was a profound role model! One would NEVER see her in a bikini. It was unheard of.

We are being trained to think that beauty is:
CLEAR SKIN
SKINNY WAIST
LONG HAIR
GOOD MAKE-UP JOB
SKINNY ARMS
SKINNY- LONG LEGS
GREAT BREASTS
AND self esteem.

How can one be suspected to live up to ALL of this happily, and still maintain self esteem...?

I will not even attempt it. I know that I have acne and acne scars. I have a muffin top and wear baggier jeans than most. I wear larges in t-shirts as to not accentuate my "non-perfect" build.

I like myself. I just don't like the world that daughters are being born into where they think beauty is the ability to look "HOTT".

*Shakes Head*... I rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment