Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 6, 2012

Peas are Good.

I was at my family friends' home. They make cakes on the side. Like... intricate decorative cakes. They're pretty magnificent I must say. They were making a Stormtrooper head cake. I helped, but mostly I just surveyed the progress and the melting of the marshmallows to make fondant. 

Finally the cake was done. I hopped in the shower lightning fast and ran out the door without brushed hair or makeup. I brushed my hair in the car, threw it in a low bun, and then slid on my owl head band that matched my shirt. I did what makeup I could in a moving car; A bit of eyeliner *smudge*... Mascara *glob over entire eyelid* ... *sigh*...*put on sunglasses to draw less attention to poorly applied makeup* 

We arrived at the cake's destination. An adorable home in an adorable suburb filled with 5 year old trees and bright flowering gardens. We walked into said home, I had never been there and didn't know what to expect. 

"Ohmygod!! Aha ha ha! Ohmygod! That is so neat! Ahaha!" said the lady who stood welcoming us inside an air-conditioned home. She had a fantastically decorated home with comfy couches in the living room and a big screen tv playing the Olympics. 

"Billy! Come down here!" The lady hollered for him again, as her excitement grew. 

I ran out to the garage to grab a soda as I was invited to do. I was thirsty and I didn't know 'Billy' so, seeing his reaction to the cake wasn't a big deal.

I went inside and hear laughing and more "ohmygod"s. I looked around the corner between shoulders and saw said Billy. He was lanky, non-grotesque, non-repulsive, and nerdy (as evidenced by his "Bazinga!!" Big Bang Theory T-shirt. He seemed like a nice guy. I still had no idea why this occasion warranted a cake... 

Finally I realized after many minutes spent eavesdropping, Billy was going to a new school for Junior and Senior year of High School. He was going to Indiana Academy. (I had no idea where that was.) Later when I was being introduced, a big deal was made out of the fact that I live in Muncie... I then deduced that Indiana Academy is in Muncie. Ohhkay.

Near the end of our time spent there, Kris (the father in the family that I was staying with) said to Billy, "You know Billy, I think that you and Katie would get along quite a lot. You're both brainy. You're both funny. You're both nerdy. You're both practically 2 peas in a pod." 

*I blushed.*

Who was I to all of a sudden want a friendship with a 16 year old adorably nerdy boy I'd never met before?

Billy asked, "What do you like then? We have stuff in common?"

"I like Video Games, Musicals, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek and Wars, Dr. Who,... Comics... etc.?" I shyly replied. 

"Comics?" He said excitedly.
"Yeah."
Kris pipes in with, "I wonder if Billy would know Tom Spurgeon...?"
I asked, "Do you know Tom Spurgeon?"
His eyes brightened, "Yus."
"I've known him since... birth. He was my Dad's best man and best friend in High School..."
He was speechless. 
"We own the book he wrote about Stan Lee. He visits yearly..." I shrugged

"Wow." said Billy, "Wow." 
Still speechless. His mom began to laugh, saying that we'd be good friends.

"Where are the good comic places in town?"

"I'm not sure where the GOOD ones in town are, but I know of two places. There might be more. I'm not sure. I can e-mail Tom and ask."

He blinked a lot and smiled a lot. I blushed a lot.

We said goodbye and left.

I later asked Kris if the scenario was weird: If you were a teenage boy and your family friends brought a teenage girl with them who lived where you were moving to and liked all the things you liked and knew one of your idols personally, would it be weird of her to want to be your friend? Or is that just plain creepy?


He told me, "If we're using the term 'Girl' loosely then YES. But if girl = you, then NO. Not at all."


I got home and e-mailed Tom. I now know where the good comic places in town are. 

I also asked if he'd send me a copy of his Stan Lee book for Billy. 
I received an e-mail back. 
I'm getting a care package via his publishers shortly.

I smiled. 

I can see a potential friendship. 
I can also see potential for me too look like some kind of stalker.

... Peas are good. But, I can't see how peas would make good friends...

1 comment: