It's the moments where I do the dishes and he comes in and smiles that perfect smile and sweetly says, 'Thanks for doing the dishes sweetheart.' and rubs my back.
Where we share a cup of coffee in the morning and he shows me what he stayed up all night working on.
In the kitchen talking about Einstein's theory of Relativity.
While I sit in awe of all the things he went thought in basic training, as I giggle about how cool he is.
Who would I be without him? I wouldn't be me. So much of who I am comes from him.
Like when people say things like, "I know someone who died a few weeks ago, her name was Ethel and she had an oxygen tank. She blew her house up with a cigarette." I laugh. I laugh hard and uncontrollably.
Or when someone is being overly dramatic and huffy, I simply raise my eyebrows and wait for the point.- something I notice my Dad does.
We drink our coffee alike; Super sweet and super light.
We eat our ramen the same; crunched up, with peas, no broth, and LOTS of Cayenne Pepper.
We both love Diet Mnt. Dew rather than regular.
We both LOVE Led Zeppelin and find it hard to listen to normal radio nonsense.
We go on walks down the railroad tracks looking for cool rocks to use in our respective art projects. Or, we take walks downtown to shoot footage of one of his puppets.
Ever since I was little, it's been me and him. Star Trek. Ramen. Doodling. Walks. Conversations about things no one else understands but us.
Although, sometimes I feel like his son more than his daughter. There are times where I feel FAR more comfortable in basketball shorts and a random t-shirt (that I bought from the guy section at Target). In those moments, It's easy to slouch and laugh at sex and poop jokes because he does too. It's easy to love King of the Hill and the Simpsons. It's funny. Just because there are references to sex and drugs and sin.... So what? He and I are the type of people who just don't care. And I love him for it.
But the times when I wear skinny jeans and a nice shirt, he makes it a point to tell me I'm lovely. Parents are biased. It's what we all think. Even the UGLIEST people get told their beautiful. But, one evening I wanted a glass of water before I went to bed. So, I trotted down the stairs in shorts and a tank top. No glasses. In desperate need of a shower and as I'm reaching for a cup, he says with a nod "I just want you to know, You're beautiful." My Dad doesn't lie. I've never caught him in one, because he has no need or want to tell a lie.
I'm his son in several ways. But I'm his daughter. Maybe I'm the only one who understands that...
No. He does. And THAT'S what matters.


Aww, this is so presh.
ReplyDelete:)